Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Flying Purple People Eater


Who says you can't teach an old bike new tricks? I love my old bike but with my disability I can't peddle it for any distance. I was bummed that it meant missing out on family bike trips and had to come up with a way to be with the family, especially with Moxie Day looming. A few months ago I saw a man riding a bike with a motor attached and was fascinated. I clocked him going over 30 mph next to my car! I figured there had to be a way to rig my bike up too so Eric started the research. In less than 2 weeks my old bike went from a worn looking blue bike to a flashy purple with flames and best of all, A MOTOR! With a gas powered kit, spray paint and decals it has been totally transformed. Once again I am riding with my family but the funny thing is I have to idle it in order to stay with them. Sometimes I just take off and do circles because that is so much more fun! It is supposed to go 40 mph although I haven't dared tack it out. I just go fast enough to feel wild and regardless of how I'm feeling I can't help but smile.

Frankie and I in 2006


My bike as Eric started to take it apart for painting


Some flames, pinstriping and a "Happy" border for good measure

Almost done, it just needs the gas tank and the clutch!


Frankie likes this ride so much better! Now when I go without him he carries on in a jealous fit.

And since I like purple so much, I am currently knitting a beautiful lace top in purple cotton. It may not look like much yet but I love stopping every once in a while to look at the lace as it knits up.

1 comment:

emily said...

That is an awesome bike - what a great husband :)