Thursday, December 11, 2008

Johnny the Superhero

I have only gotten to wear 2 johnny's this week, that is if you consider the cape like contraption I wore today a johnny. (Of course, it is only Thursday so there is hope I'll get called to wear another one tomorrow!) The nurse called it a Johnny, but it was really a cape with one tiny snap in the front. If it hadn't been covered in brightly colored flowers, was made of yarn and worn over the rest of my clothing, I may have actually liked it. I wore this for my mammogram and at one point when the nurse had flipped it back over my shoulders I told her I felt like a superhero with a flowery cape. The really great news is that my mammogram came out positive, nothing to worry about. And, if I do say so myself, my boobs look even better on film!

Yesterday I had a second cortisone shot in my neck. Since I was well prepared for the johnny and the back bearing, I had Eric write out a message for the doctor on my back. It said, "What's up Doc?" I think the doctor must expect just about anything because he took it in stride, even though I have noticed that he has a great sense of humor. Speaking of humor, the amount of time I spend going to doctors and the hospital for tests is getting beyond ridiculous. That and the frequent phone calls. When I told the receptionist at work I was going to the hospital again today she just shook her head in dismay. I told her I like to spend my spare time there, and I am getting to know a lot of people. Next week I have two appointments, so far. It's almost hard to believe that a year ago I would've done just about anything to avoid doctors and didn't take any medications, not even a vitamin. I don't even sweat it anymore when I have to bare naked parts, get injected, or subject myself to boob smooshage.

I have been working on knitting but things are getting done much slower than usual. I went through a knitting funk for a week or so where nothing seemed to turn out right. I started a second sock for "Mini Me" and realized that somehow I had counted wrong and had done several more rows of ribbing than I was supposed to. I switched over to a pair of mitts for my nephew but couldn't seem to get into it. It suddenly came to me a few nights ago that I really needed to knit with something extra soft and that would fix my "problem". I immediately came up with an idea and resurrected the angora that I bought at Spa last year. That seems to be just what I needed. I am making a hooded scarf with it and I'm almost done with the hood! I had forgotten how soft and utterly amazing this yarn is to knit with. I am already trying to think of another project so I can pick up some more at SPA this year. Eventually, I'll need to finish the sock and the mitts. I think my nephew will cast me out of the family if I don't make him those mitts soon. I have worked on several smaller projects and I am totally itching to make a sweater. I haven't decided what sweater I'll make, but immediately after the Xmas knitting is done, I will be casting on.

No comments: