Monday, May 19, 2008

More Than a Blanket

I have been quiet on this project, but the time has finally come to share it and all the wonderful meaning behind it. A while back I mentioned that a friend was sick, but I didn't say much more. I was reeling from the shock and sadness of learning that a beloved coworker (Pam) was diagnosed with cancer and about to undergo hefty treatment. I shared my sorrow with the special knitting group from The Knitting Experience and they decided that a handmade gift was in order. The above blanket is the result of many hands and caring people! I am choked up at the magnitude of their generosity. Their support and delving into this project was a way for me to feel like I could do something in a seemingly powerless situation. When I first learned about Pam's illness, I couldn't imagine that such a bad thing could happen to such a great person. Pam continues to remain positive and even helped some of us when we were having difficulty accepting what was happening. I never doubted for a minute that she would come out of everything okay, but I couldn't bear the thought of her suffering through the treatments. She and the generosity of so many people have taught me once again that really good things can come out of bad things. I continue to be amazed at how many people at work have contributed to gift baskets and meals for her family. She is truly a deserving individual who has touched many people with her kindness and laughter. Of all the projects I have shared, I am proudest of this blanket, not made by me, but my many people for Pam.

I am especially grateful to Bridget, who helped with yarn and sewing squares.

No comments: